Sunday, May 8, 2011

Disaster - Day 6

Operation bath tub laundry.
I had such an enjoyable day. Ashlyn and I did our 9 1/2 hour ISP at the Chattanooga Community Kitchen, and it was stress free. Except for being tired, I'm feeling refreshed and ready to start the new week tomorrow. I'm planning on turning in early tonight ie within the next 20 minutes, so that should solve the tired problem.
Ashlyn performing one of three soapy agitation cycles.

Also, I now have clean laundry, though it's still pretty wet...and did I mention it's hanging on a makeshift clothesline all over the hotel room? Ashlyn and I decided to wash our laundry in our bathtub, using powdered detergent. We filled the tub with hot water and the detergent, then threw our clothes in and agitated it thoroughly using an ordinary windshield scraper we found in our cargo truck. We repeated this process 3 times, then rinsed it twice in bulk, then one article at a time, after which we rung each piece out and hung it up on the clothes line with clothespins. We couldn't find a laundry mat, and anyway, we saved some money doing it this way, not to mention that it's been over a week since we've done anything for entertainment, so this was a pretty hilarious way to spend the evening. It was hard work though, and I now appreciate more than ever the simplicity of modern laundry technology.

Other than that, I just have to say, Happy Mother's Day, Mom!
Our clotheslines make door access slightly trying...

2 comments:

  1. Nice! I knew there was a reason you read all those Little House books! 21st century pioneer women. I am proud of you. Take care and enjoy your stiff clothes. See you in a couple of weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So funny to see your washing adventure. I was just reading and watching things clothes and diapers just like you - but with a plunger like tool called "breathable washer". It is really pretty cool looking. Hope you have a good week.

    ReplyDelete