Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Disaster - Day 8

Today was great! Sarah and I visited a lot of houses (and a lot of places where houses used to be) and talked to a lot people, asking them how we could help and listening to their stories. We even got to see some of our AmeriCorps friends who are also working in the area, so that was awesome.

At lunch, a guy walked up to our table when were finished eating and took our bill, saying he wanted to buy our lunch. He said the Red Cross has done a lot for him and for his community, and he insisted on buying our meal.

I am constantly overwhelmed by the generosity and kindness I have seen daily while working in these disaster torn communities: neighbors helping neighbors in any way they can. One guy we talked to was using his farm equipment (bulldozer, tractor, etc.) to help clear away debris at his friend's house, and when he finished on that lot, he continued on to the houses next door, clearing up their debris for free. It got up over 90 degrees today, and I can't tell you how many people were out working and volunteering their time and energy in order to help their friends, family, and neighbors. It was a good thing we had bottled water to hand out!

I'm also learning which insurance companies are worth paying into and which aren't, based on their response time and willingness to foot the whole bill. State Farm and All State are two that I continue to hear praised by homeowners.

Sarah and I had a conversation in the car about how this type of situation really shows you the goodness of mankind. What I witnessed today is my proof that people are inherently good, and anytime I may doubt that in the future, I hope I can remember what I saw and heard here in Cleveland, TN.

1 comment:

  1. I am glad you had such a rewarding day. It is nice to see people at their best. I am sure you will have lots of stories to relate when we see you.

    Take care of yourself. Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete