Sunday, August 8, 2010

Week 1

Well, my first week of training is complete, and so far I feel confident that this is where I’m supposed to be. Never before have I felt so comfortable with a group of my peers. People don’t look at you funny when you say you like to read, they interestedly ask, “what are you reading?” and then we have an educated discussion on it. Nothing you do is weird to the other people here, it’s interesting, and everyone is excited to learn new things from others. There are 140 members on campus, and we’re from all over the country. It’s fun trying to figure out where people are from by their accents, and to compare things like food chains and who has what.

First day in uniform.
During training hours, typically 8 – 6 on weekdays, everyone has to wear the same kaki pant, gray logo t-shirt uniform, which makes it easy to get ready in the morning, but difficult to distinguish individuals from a distance. This week our training consisted of ground rules for the campus, AmeriCorps history and policies, regional history, insects and reptiles to be wary of, 15 passenger van driver training, and other things of that nature.

Right now I’m part of a temporary team consisting of 8 people. We’re already pretty close since we spend most of our training time together, and even shop and cook as a team, so it’ll be hard to be separated when we are put onto permanent teams this Wednesday, which will then be our teams for the duration of our service. These permanent teams are determined by various factors, such as male/female ratios, personality compatibility as decided by team leaders, and skills/abilities of individuals. Also, out of 14 teams, 2 of these will be designated as Fire teams. This means that the 10 members that make up each team will receive training on controlled burns and other facets of wild fire fighting and prevention. These teams will be required to do more Physical Training (PT) exercises throughout their service than other teams (5 days a week as opposed to 3), and at the end of their service, they will have earned a beginning level certification in fire fighting. These teams will for the most part be assigned to the same types of projects as regular teams, but they will be involved in at least one controlled burn project, and will be ready in case there is a disaster that requires their special training.

I suppose the reason I’m here is to try and help people while seeing other parts of the country and gaining as much varied experience as possible. With this goal in mind, I decided to try out for Fire team, which is pretty competitive (36 people tried out and only 20 will be chosen to participate), in order to try and gain experience in an area of which I know little. To even be considered for Fire team, you have to successfully complete a pack test and write a convincing letter of intent. The pack test took place yesterday morning outside the local YMCA on a paved track. We had to walk (not run) 3 miles with a 45 lb vest strapped to us within 45 minutes.

Bear in mind that even at 7 o’clock in the morning when the test took place, it was well over 90 degrees. 3 miles is equal to 10 laps around the track, and at first, it wasn’t so bad; I just kept a steady, quick pace and wiped the sweat out of my eyes from time to time. By around lap 4 however, my thighs and calves were burning like crazy. I’m in fairly good shape and go jogging on a regular basis, but let me tell you, having 45 extra pounds strapped to you is quite a different ball game from what I’m used to. There was more than one point during that lap when I thought, there’s no way I can make it even another 10 steps, let alone 6 laps. But just as it happens in running, if you can push yourself through the most painful part, the burning eventually turns to numb, and it doesn’t hurt anymore. After my leg pain was gone, I just had to concentrate on not concentrating on the weight of the vest on my shoulders. As I got closer to the end, every step seemed to get a little heavier and my pace slowed more than I should have allowed. In the final two laps, my friend Jessica and I were walking together at the same pace, and we were able to push each other to do quick, low step intervals, which make your thighs feel like they’re going to explode, but help to make up lost time. As we rounded the final bend, a group of the team leaders came and ran beside us and encouraged us as we pushed ourselves past our limits. With 20 seconds to spare, we crossed the finish line! As I unhooked my vest and let those 45 lbs of dead weight drop to the ground, I felt completely weightless. After getting a drink, wringing out my sweat soaked shirt, and walking around slowly for a while so as not to let my muscles get tight and uncomfortable, I honestly started to feel like I could go for a run. My body was so relieved to be rid of that extra weight, it was now ready for anything. It makes me want to lose 45 lbs of body weight to see what I’m physically cable of then!

I turned in my letter of intent yesterday afternoon, stating why I think I’d be an asset if given the opportunity to serve on a Fire team. I’ll find out on Wednesday if I made it or not. But even if I don’t, I’m still glad I gave it a shot, and gave myself the opportunity to see what I’m capable of. My shoulders and shins are pretty sore today, but no pain no gain, right?

The campus I’m on is absolutely gorgeous, and though I haven’t gotten around to taking pictures yet, I’ll try and do so this week and post them next week. I live in a really big room with one other girl, and it’s connected with a bathroom to another room with two other girls in it. I have yet to meet anyone here that isn’t nice and interesting, and I’m having a really great time so far. Last night we watch The Goonies on a big screen by the pool (the water is so hot, it’s almost like sitting in bath water), and my team cooked hamburgers and veggie burgers on the grill. It’s not easy finding meals that work for everyone on the team, since one of our members is a vegetarian while another hates all fruits and vegetables, but we’re making it work.

My plan is to post a new entry on this blog once a week, probably on Saturday or Sunday, so keep a look out. Hope everybody at home is doing well. I miss you guys!!

River 3, my temporary team.

5 comments:

  1. Looking good, Hot Stuff! Glad you're having a great time. Do something to save the world already!

    Flash just got out Tyres and poked him with a stick and together we mocked him a little.

    We've already forgotten you're name! Just kidding, Kristina. :D

    Love!
    Tiffany (who has Bronchitis and Corneal Ulcers!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Luv hearing about your first week!! Sounds like you've met some really great people :) From your pics, it looks like you've had some great bonding time, too!! So fun!
    Also, really impressed about the fire starter/fighter hiker challenge thing!! pullin' for ya!! :) have a lovely week! they're gonna fly by!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kari,
    You have lots of gals praying for you. The team of SCC's! Your mom knows that I love pictures so sent us to your blog. So I am here to ask for LOTS of pictures!!

    God bless your journey.
    Lynn, SCC in Oregon

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad it's going so well. In your honor I, too, shall watch Goonies in the near-future.

    Try making that 45 lb. vest a 145 lb vest and then you'll know why I always ended up laying in the middle of the road when I tried to go running with you and Scotty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kari - so you're going from starting fires at Hotwork to putting them out! Thanks for the news!

    ReplyDelete