Friday, May 6, 2011

Disaster - Day 4

Another long day, but I did get to go out in the field for the first time, so that was neat. I worked on a damage assessment team with two other women for most of the day, so we drove to specific roads in a distant county where there was known damage to assess how bad things looked and to see what sort of help the families might need. Our assigned area was very rural and backwoodsy, so we spent a good portion of the day looking for non existent street signs and making wrong turns.

Back at the office, things are really chaotic as relief management is taking over for the managers who have been working without breaks since the disaster occurred, and the result is that our systems and trainings for things are being turned upside down. Hopefully things will be better tomorrow as the workers and managers begin to understand one another...

I'd like to give a big shout out to Ruth and Cain, who spent their day off helping out at the office and shelter. You guys rock. I'd also like to say that our entire team is doing a fantastic job of remaining positive and getting so much done even without direct instructions. Ashlyn, Sarah, Mac, Jacquie, Taylor, Ruth, and Cain, each and every one of you inspires me to do the best I can, even when I'm tired and frustrated. I love you guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment