Sunday, August 15, 2010

Week 2

Chapel, which has been deconsecrated and is now the campus auditorium.


This week is kind of a blur of activity in my head. In hindsight, I should have written daily notes so as to be able to inform you properly what all is going on down here in Vicksburg. I guess I’m learning as I go. 


Physical Training (PT) started this week, which means that I had to be up and on the practice field by 6:30am Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. On those days, I would get back to the dorm around 7:20 at which point my roommate, two sweet mates, and I would take turns showering so as to be at our first training session by 8 or 8:30. Four girls, one shower, one hour: you do the math.

IL monument at military park.
Training this week was based in all kinds of areas. Everything from learning about the project acceptance procedure and what qualifies as a priority job, to diversity training, to creating child friendly spaces in a disaster shelter, to chainsaw training (I now know how to disassemble and reassemble a chainsaw, as well as safe use and proper attire). It was a 6 day work week, so needless to say, I have thoroughly enjoyed my day off today. Slept late, did laundry, and even got to go to the military park on a driving tour, which was really neat.

I am now on my permanent team, which is made up of 10 people including me. I didn’t make Fire team, so I’m on a regular team. At least I tried, and now I know what my body is capable of after doing the pack test! I don’t know everyone on my team that well yet, but they all seem really cool, and my team leader is a great all around guy, so I think this is going to be a productive year. I found out that my team’s first project will run from September 1st through October 16th and we’ll be working with Habitat for Humanity in Mobile, AL. I can’t wait!!

I organized a jam session in the old chapel which is now our campus auditorium on Thursday, and it was a whole lot of fun! The acoustics in that building are amazing, and there were about 4 people besides me that participated, not to mention some friends who came to listen. Hopefully we’ll be able to do it again soon.

Right now I’m incredibly itchy with bug bites after spending quite a few hours in the woods on campus yesterday, clearing a trail with chainsaws, joe blades, fire rakes, and axes. The temperature was in the high 90Fs, and I don’t recall ever being in humidity this oppressive before coming here. We had to wear long sleeve shirts, long pants, and steel toed boots while doing this work, and everyone was soaked through with sweet within the first hour. I can’t even tell you how many times I refilled my water bottle throughout the course of the day, but I never once had to use the restroom. I sweat that much. My boots aren't quite broken in yet and my feet were absolutely killing me mid day. By the end though, they were numb from pain, so I guess that's a good thing?

This coming week, we’re going to be getting more hands on training as opposed to mostly classroom work and lectures, so that’s exciting! Tomorrow morning we’re leaving at 6:30am and heading to the middle of nowhere to learn how to roof a house, put together house frames, build trails, and a bunch of other things along those lines. We’re going to set up camp and spend the night there, wake up, and do more of the same work before returning to campus on Tuesday evening. There’s a good chance it’ll rain tomorrow night, so I’m packing plenty of extra socks. My mother has taught me well.

That’s all for now, as I have to pack for tomorrow. I hope everyone is doing well, and please drop me a line if you think of it. I love hearing what’s going on at home. Dusty and Sharon have been sending me delicious baked goods and awesome music, which are definitely highlights in my weeks. Today Cris sent me videos of Ellie laughing and being cute in general, which I watched about 4 times in a row, and completely made my day.

I love you guys! 
Take care, 
    k


PS - Check my Facebook for more pictures:)

Emily (suite mate), me, and Brittany (roomate).

1 comment:

  1. How exactly does one "deconsecrate" something? Does it involve a pagan orgy? Or does that cross the line into "defiling"?

    ReplyDelete