Sunday, August 1, 2010

My Ol' KY Home

Well, the time has finally come. Today I’m hanging with my family, and tomorrow I’m off to Vicksburg. I originally applied for this program last fall, submitting mountains of paperwork and getting recommendations from my employer and volunteer coordinators. It’s kind of a competitive program, so I just figured I’d apply and if nothing came of it, I wouldn’t be surprised. Now here I am, my possessions crammed into a suitcase and a knot in my stomach, asking myself, wait, why am I doing this?

“What should I fear…for whether kind or harsh, a man’s fate must be tried.” – Sir Gawain & the Green Knight

So tomorrow at 5am, I’ll get into the car and my mom will drive me to the Lexington airport. As I board the plane, I’ll think about all that I’m leaving behind. My mom and dad, who’ve taught me everything I know that’s worth knowing. My four brothers and three sisters-in-law, who’ve been nothing but supportive in everything I’ve ever done. My brand new nieces, Elinor and Allison, who develop new aspects to their personalities daily, and whom I know I shall miss tremendously as they grow. My friends, who are the best I could have asked for. And last but not least, my former coworkers, who I’ve spent every day for the past two years getting to know.

The plane will take off, and I know that as I watch my ol’ Kentucky home slip through the clouds, I’ll be extraordinarily sorry to see it go. But at the same time, I’ll be excited and ready to begin my next great adventure. Vicksburg, here I come!

1 comment: