Saturday, May 7, 2011

Disaster - Day 5

Superfluous training, paper shuffling, and talking in circles was this morning's theme, but I actually got to go out and do something real this afternoon. Sarah, Ashlyn, and I drove out to a distant case (I got to drive a sweet Ford Escape, because I'm the only one who is 25 and allowed to drive a rental) about an hour and half away from our office. There is a family of six (including an infant) living in a rat infested tool shed beside their trailer, which was destroyed by one of the tornadoes. They don't want to leave, because they are afraid someone will loot their valuable tools, and they were running out of food and water. We took them all kinds of things they might need, including bottled water, MRE's, canned goods, snacks, baby food, diapers, wipes, toiletries, etc. We also opened a Red Cross case on them so that we can refer them to FEMA and set them up with other organizations to get them clothing, food vouchers, and temporary housing assistance. Even though nothing else in my day made any sense, helping that family in such a tangible way made me feel like what we are doing here might be worthwhile.

Tomorrow, Ashlyn and I have one of our two days off, so of course, we're working. We still have ISP hours to acquire, so off we go to the Community Kitchen downtown to prepare, serve, and cleanup a days worth of meals for who knows how many people. I'm really excited about doing this, and we get to sleep an extra hour, so that's nothing to scoff at. We're also going to track down a laundry mat since days off are the only opportunity for us to wash our clothes, and Ashlyn and I are both rapidly running out of clean underwear. *sigh* Hardly a "day off", but at least a different task mixes things up a bit.

If my thoughts seem scattered, it's because I'm beat. Before I go, let me just say that as you go to sleep tonight, realize how lucky you are to be sleeping in a house with a roof, and running water, and electricity, and  without the fear that the rat you heard run past you in the darkness might bite you or your infant. Also, hug the people you love and tell your friends what they mean to you, because the moment you're in is the only one you can depend upon. "No matter what looms ahead, if you can eat today, enjoy the sunlight today, mix good cheer with friends today, enjoy it and bless God for it. Do not look back on happiness -- or dream of it in the future. You are only sure of today; do not let yourself be cheated out of it." (Henry Ward Beecher)


Much love to you all,
 k

No comments:

Post a Comment